Managed hosting is when a hosting provider, such as Shopify, owns several dedicated servers and lease to clients. It is different from other types of dedicated hosting in that the hosting provider manages website maintenance and management for the clients on a daily basis instead of the clients doing it themselves.
Fully managed hosting includes the following:
- Server monitoring where the process involves server scanning in search of any discrepancies or potential failures then rectifying any problems found before they become major issues leading to service disruption.
- Full back up and storage to avoid loss of data which could be costly time consuming, and lead to client distrusting the hosting provider.
- Security including virus scanning, firewall configuration, spam filtering, and operating system updates. Security is very important to all computer networks, but it is even more so when dealing with critical data for businesses.
- Managed hosting providers who are more likely to have technical and physical capabilities in place to correctly handle backup and storage processes.
- Server configuration and maintenance that provide specially trained experts who ensure effective and smooth configuration meeting the requirements of the client, as well as server maintenance to ensure smooth running of the platform.
- Support is an attractive advantage of managed hosting since they come with a qualified support at hand. The ideal scenario is a company making sure that human telephone support is available at all times, but with managed hosting, support is provided through email.
The business profits to managed hosting include:
Since it a very flexible solution and providers work with clients to achieve a tailored solution suitable with their requirements and business budget. Additionally, in case clients change their requirements, the hosting providers will have enough time to take care of the changes while ensuring the platform remains meeting client demands.
More effective resource usage
Since it cuts costs on hiring IT employees. Therefore, it makes sense to manage your resources in the best way possible. When employing a managed hosting service, the hosting provider manages all daily servers running and maintenance, as well as the computer infrastructure (networks and systems). This means that your in-house IT personnel can get to focus their attention on more important tasks.
Reduced operation costs
Since in-house management of web hosting can be very expensive due to the required hardware and expertise. Managed hosting is a very cost effective solution where clients do not have to compromise on control or suitability.